Image by Flickr user MarkyBonImage by 20091023-dice.jpg
Charleston is getting taken by storm this weekend. BarCamp, Halloween celebrations, live music, roller derby, art exhibits, stage performances -- you name it, it's happening.
We're going to focus on the biggie events that are causing the most buzz around town, but do feast your eyes on the complete event calendar. This round-up here will only wet your whistle.
- The College of Charleston is opening the doors of the brand spanking new Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art. Watch out art world, there is a new(ish) kid in town.
- Where would Halloween be without a little Rocky Horror action? Charleston Ballet Theater is doing a special performance of the cult classic both Friday and Saturday night.
- If you're in the mood to dance your face off, head out to The Pour House for the Pnuma Trio/VibeSquaD show. Pnuma's live shows are incredible, and judging from the sounds VibeSquaD puts out on my speakers, you're in for an electronic treat.
- The day has finally arrived: BarCamp Charleston is here. What is BarCamp Charleston? It's an open, un-conference where folks come to participate and learn about whatever folks are willing to talk about. Topics range from the uber-technical to bacon, so this is going to be one hell of an event.
- Skinful Halloween, the biggest, baddest and wildest Halloween party in the Lowcountry is back. Costumes are required at this party filled with live music, art, lights, booze and sin.
- The one and only Mr. R. Kelly will be putting on a performance at the Gaillard Municipal Auditorium. Here's hoping you don't get stuck listening to all 20 bajillion installments of his Trapped In The Closet saga.
- Beer, beer and more beer will be served up to those at Charleston Oktoberfest. Daniel Island's Blackbaud Stadium will be transformed into a little slice of adult heaven today. Did we mention there is a bratwurst eating contest?
- Been bitten by the acting bug? Try your hand at the Footlight Players' open auditions for their upcoming production of Miracle Worker.
- If you're felling active, but don't want to get out of your PJ's then you're in luck. Knology is hosting the Second Annual Pajama Run that’s benefitting MUSC’s Hollings Cancer Center. Break out the onesie for this one.
More? Yeah, we've got the hookup to more.